My brother turned 40 on February 7 and to celebrate we went on a western carribean cruise. I am not a cruiser...too much time in a confined space. I realize it's a big boat, but a big boat with over 2000 people does become a little crowded. Anyhow, it was fun. I roomed with my mom and my childhood friend (considered sister), Kim. My dad, brother, James & MD went also. I brought two Nicolas Sparks books (thanks, Tara!) and was able to finish both of them. I had plenty of reading time on our two days at sea!
Our first stop was in Progresso, Mexico. Kim, my dad, my brother and I all took a bus ride out to the Chitchen Itza Mayan Ruins. Click here to link to some info about the Mayans and the ruins. It was so interesting to learn the history of the natives of the Yucatan. God always amazes me how stories about natives' leaders usually have qualities of Christ. The natives are just usually confused about who Christ is and don't know the message of His love and salvation. There is a huge world out there that does not know the love of God. I am so thankful that God wants me to be a part of sharing what I already know about Him with those all around me. I just hope that I will be faithful.
Our second stop was Cozumel. We decided to take it easy this day and leisurely got ready and then headed out to do some port shopping. I found the kids some cute little drums and bought myself some vanilla. While shopping, I met Eduardo. He makes bracelets. We visited for a while and he made a bracelet for Kyle. I just hope that one day I will see Eduardo again in eternity. I was really craving some REAL mexican food since we were in Mexico. We asked a few of the locals where they would recommend and took a taxi to La Choza. They had the BEST guacamole I have ever eaten! I wished I could taken some home with me. At the end of our meal, James, my bother's friend, had some tortillas left over. So, I asked the waiter for some butter and honey. He brought them and then later asked what experiment I had. I thought that was funny. I showed him that I spread the butter on the tortilla and added a little honey, rolled it up and ate it. He was so excited to learn a new way to eat tortillas. Who knew a Mexican wouldn't know to do that...
I love getting to know the dinner servers on a cruise. Each night we learned more and more about Gede (pronounced goodday as one word) and Sudika. They were both from Indonesia. Gede has three children and his son is the same age as Kyle. Gede owns a fitness center and spends 6 months at time working for the cruiseline. But, then he gets to spend 6 months at home! Sudika is pretty young and was a little shy, but he sure did get down when it was time to dance. I also hope that Gede and Sudika will know Christ and that I will get to see them again for eternity.
Open my eyes Lord that I may see YOUR people!



1 comment:
It was a blast. I totally enjoyed being with family and friends. The sky and water were beautiful...so different from the Baton Rouge sky-line...UGH! Kim is next in line for her 40...hmmmm...where shall we go???
Post a Comment